Re: [dwm] [dwm+owner@suckless.org: Messages from dwm@suckless.org to you have been bouncing]

From: Joerg van den Hoff <j.van_den_hoff_AT_fzd.de>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 13:49:03 +0100

On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 12:40:35PM +0100, Premysl Hruby wrote:
> On (07/03/09 11:50), Joerg van den Hoff wrote:
> > To: dwm mail list <dwm_AT_suckless.org>
> > Cc: Premysl Hruby <dfenze_AT_gmail.com>
> > From: Joerg van den Hoff <j.van_den_hoff_AT_fzd.de>
> > Subject: Re: [dwm] [dwm+owner_AT_suckless.org: Messages from dwm_AT_suckless.org
> > to you have been bouncing]

> > > Wow, his MTA (or maybe MUA) is sending out a delivery status
> > > notification, saying that the message was delivered. I didn't think any
> > > MTAs actually did that, it can create many problems (like the current
> > > one).
> > >
> > > Joerg, you should check your mail client to see if it's sending out
> > > delivery status notifications (DSNs). What's happening is that your
> > > mail client, or your mail server, is responding back to the message
> >
> > I presume, it's our IMAP server in central IT. I'll forward your message.
> >
> > I'm using `mutt' (which at least
> > claims to suck less than other mail clients) and AFAICS should have
> > nothing to do with the delivery notification, right?
>
> I'm using mutt too, and have no problem. Do you use any other
> program/device to access that IMAP account?

quite generally, no. very rarely, I've to use a web-browser interface to
the mail server. but I'm quite sure this has no relation to the current problems
(which have appeared only rather recently -- maybe related to some update on
the server side, I'll try to check with IT).

> > > saying "I got it!" mlmmj (the list software used at suckless.org, which
> > > I happen to have contributed to) treats any response to the envelope
> > > sender address as a bounced message.
> >
> > naive question: would it harm if mlmmj would treat the DSN has
> > harmless/irrelevant instead of 'bounced'?
>
> No, that's not possible. If you look on that "bounce" message carefully
> you will see that your MX is sending it as MAILERDAEMON (<> address to
> be precise) so that's fully featured bounce message.
>

> > > I'm guessing there's some sender on the list who requests delivery
> > > status notifications on their outbound messages, and this is why you
> > > only see the bounces occasionally.
>
> Well, I searched dwm archive and there's no email with header
> from disposition-notification-* family -- one responsible for requesting
> that "I read your email" thingie.

meaning it's mysterious, _why_ our server spills out his DSNs?
anyway, since I know (next to) nothing of mail protocol internals I'll have to
wait what central IT is going to say and let you know their answer.

regards,

joerg