Re: [dwm] Slightly OT: Looking for decent graphics card

From: Tube <tube_AT_count0.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 21:49:40 +0200

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 08:26:51PM +0200, Preben Randhol wrote:

> > Sorry for being a little bit off-topic but I think you're the people
> > who might have the clue. I'm looking for a good 2D graphics card from
> > a manufacturer that supports linux drivers that work. I used Matrox
> > all the years but the provided drivers don't run anymore with the
> > latest version of xorg.
> >
> > Any suggestion for a good power saving card?
>
> What kind of system are we talking about? Sounds you want something for
> an old computer?

no, it's my working computer at home. AMD core duo, 4 GB ram and so son. my
monitor is a 22" display and i want to run a 1680x1050 resolution. no games,
just 2d-graphics. actually, matrox did that job very well but the have a lousy
driver support. my prejudice against these modern ATI-/NVIDIA-stuff is that
you need a dedicated powerplant to run them. but in fact they provide current
drivers. so, a power saving model of them would be good compromise.

> For new cards I would recommend ATI HD4870 4850 but I guess they are
> too power hungry. 4830 seems nice and cheap look here:
> http://lwn.net/Articles/326405/
>
> Otherwise read Phoronix.com they do lot of tests for linux
> compatibility and have forums where you can ask for help.

OK, i will check that out. thx so far

tube