Re: [dwm] dwm's future

From: Szabolcs Nagy <nszabolcs_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 00:10:53 +0100

On 4/25/09, Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. One idea is getting rid of the dwm bar altogether and to print the
> dwm state to stdout when it changes, however after thinking carefully
> about it I conclude that having the bar build-in is definately a
> stayer. It's so much simpler than the hassle with an external bar, not
> worth it. So very unlikely.

if external bar is a hassle then inter-process communication is broken
in our systems

if built-in bar is a hassle then x is broken (unable to display text)

> 2. Another idea is to switch to another dependency for the rendering
> bit which could possibly be cairo. After all I'm nearly giving up the
> hope that X font handling will ever be fixed and work properly,

$ du -h /usr/lib/libcairo.a
608K /usr/lib/libcairo.a

pango seems to be slightly smaller, but i don't know what these libs
do exactly..

imo it's not suckless, but it can be a temporary solution until x is fixed

> 3. A third idea for legacy support is, that I tend to add a
> compile-time option or a specific Rule extension that let's you set to
> reparent all clients or certain clients which are broken

rule extension won't work as these applications tend not to set
class,instance,name properly