[dwm] dwm's future

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 19:23:50 +0100

Hi there,

I discussed several stuff on IRC recently but wanted to share my thoughts here.

1. One idea is getting rid of the dwm bar altogether and to print the
dwm state to stdout when it changes, however after thinking carefully
about it I conclude that having the bar build-in is definately a
stayer. It's so much simpler than the hassle with an external bar, not
worth it. So very unlikely.

2. Another idea is to switch to another dependency for the rendering
bit which could possibly be cairo. After all I'm nearly giving up the
hope that X font handling will ever be fixed and work properly, so
that relying on a pile of other crap seems to become a solution. cairo
is a dependency for firefox and I guess that every dwm user uses
firefox occasionally. And we might benefit from a little bit smoother
looking dwm (same for dmenu of course and my ongoing st efforts). I
think this idea is quite likely.

3. A third idea for legacy support is, that I tend to add a
compile-time option or a specific Rule extension that let's you set to
reparent all clients or certain clients which are broken such as
Mathematica or various Swing apps, though I'm not absolutely sure how
likely that is. Somehow my inner feelings are against it, because it's
not a dwm problem and those broken apps should be fixed.

Please feel free to comment or add other ideas to this list.

Kind regards,
--Anselm