Re: [dwm] dwm's future

From: Michael <misha_AT_netspark.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 01:54:36 +0400

Anselm R Garbe wrote:
> 2. Another idea is to switch to another dependency for the rendering
> bit which could possibly be cairo. After all I'm nearly giving up the
> hope that X font handling will ever be fixed and work properly, so
> that relying on a pile of other crap seems to become a solution. cairo
> is a dependency for firefox and I guess that every dwm user uses
> firefox occasionally. And we might benefit from a little bit smoother
> looking dwm (same for dmenu of course and my ongoing st efforts). I
> think this idea is quite likely.
Please, don't depend on such huge library just to get nifty fonts and
smooth look, dwm is great because it's very small and depend only on
really small range of things - x11-dev, optional xinerama, libc - those
are things that you can find everywhere, but linking to cairo will
destroy this beauty and simplicity in my opinion. Please, don't do it.

btw, fonts are fixed now for me in Debian/Sid