Re: [dwm] dwm's future

From: Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 08:15:40 -0500

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 6:57 AM, Haomin Wen <wen1987_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> For programmers, there is little difference, or at least it generally will
> not increase SLOC.
Yes, but at the cost of dragging in a huge chain of libraries, which
is insanity. Just because you can't see the complexity doesn't mean
it's not there.

> For users, they just need to set the font to something like "Sans-10" or
> "Monosapce-10". It is much simpler than setting X fonts. Besides, fontconfig
> is powerful. User can set spacing, priority, antialias, hinting, and a lot
> more properties of fonts, which is necessary for certain fonts.

Not only can the user set these things, the user *has to*, because
otherwise his screen is an unreadable mess.

I may be be in the minority here, but ASCII works wonderfully, and I'm
happy with the state of font rendering in dwm.

# Kurt H Maier