Re: [dwm] dwm's future

From: Haomin Wen <wen1987_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 19:57:28 +0800

Hello,

I am sorry but I really hope dwm can switch to using pango.

X fonts are broken and not well supported, at least in Ubuntu. I have six
Chinese fonts shown in xlsfonts, but only two of them can be displayed. Two
of them only support 16 pixel and 24 pixel size. They are too large, given
that my dpi is as low as 75. The other font is arphic ukai, but it is not
bitmap font, and therefore broken. WenQuanYi Bitmap Song is a nice bitmap
font and covers many encodings, but I can use it for no obvious reason.

It seems to me that pango's powerfulness comes with almost no cost.

For programmers, there is little difference, or at least it generally will
not increase SLOC.

For users, they just need to set the font to something like "Sans-10" or
"Monosapce-10". It is much simpler than setting X fonts. Besides, fontconfig
is powerful. User can set spacing, priority, antialias, hinting, and a lot
more properties of fonts, which is necessary for certain fonts.

Of course pango is not as comman as xlib, and it even depends on Cairo, but
it works.

Sincerely,

Haomin Wen