Re: [dwm] dwm's future

From: David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 21:32:50 +0100

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Evgeny Grablyk
<evgeny.grablyk_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Why not make statusbar a (default) compile-time option, and add
> possibility to export all statusbar information? This way user can
> choose between builtin statusbar, or make his own. To make things more
> simple, mouseclick support for statusbar should be removed.

One thing that's interesting is that no-one ever quantifies in what
manner things become simpler: for the programmers, for the user or
some other metric? I'll reiterate a point that I've made in the past
that I don't really care about number of lines of code providing that
the application provides the appropriate level of self-consistent
functionality (ie, the amount of functionality that makes sense at
this point in the software stack). Some of my custom tile()
implementations involve many more lines of quite intricate code that
nevertheless gives a "sophisticated but predictable" behaviour when
I'm a user.

In particular, when I'm on a desktop machine with a mouseI often use
clicks on the tags to manipulate the view. I'd be sad if that simple,
predictable functionality were removed simply because it means a lower
SLOC number can be quoted. (This is probably flamebait, but for some
reason the phrase "Cargo Cult" comes to mind.)

--
cheers, dave tweed__________________________
computer vision reasearcher: david.tweed_AT_gmail.com