Re: [dwm] dwm's future

From: Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_mirix.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 23:20:35 +0200

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 04:05:36PM -0400, Jeremy Jay wrote:

> Don't be a bigot, it just makes you look like a moron too. Free Software

Well, you are a moron if you get bad marks, because you didn't hand in your
papers, because you refuse to use proprietary software: You don't change
anything and just hurt yourself.

I always found someone to typeset my texts or just printed them out. It
worked in the majority of cases.

> is about choice, forcing people to use an app just because you use it is

No, not because I use it, just because it's Free Software. That's the fact
that matters.

> pretty stupid and annoying and just gives people a negative association
> with it. Let people make their own choices. Last I checked it was very

They don't let their students choose either.

> easy to save as .xls or .doc, and its much less hassle for those less
> tech literate.

Still you are using pragmatic arguments to invalidate my fundamental
arguments. We'll never come to an agreement then.

It's not about the ease of use, it's about the nature of the software
itself. I would even use Free Software if it's harder to use and less
powerful. In fact I do this on daily basis.

I partially agree that this is hard to explain these kind of persons (not
because they are to stupid or not skilled enough to understand this, but
because they don't want to listen or understand it).

> Professors choose to use the software they want because they're
> comfortable with it, not to spite you.

But its their duty to provide equal access and opportunity to their
students. If they require their students to use proprietary software,
don't fullfil that duty, despite the fact that proprietary software is a
contradiction to education.

Well, this discussion will lead is just more E-Mail traffic and wasted time,
so I suggest to do everyone a favour and stop here. All relevant arguments
have been mentioned and further discussion won't yield a result.

> Jeremy

Regards,
Matthias-Christian