Re: [hackers] [dwm] setfullscreen: don't process the property twice

From: Alexander Huemer <alexander.huemer_AT_xx.vu>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 15:25:36 +0100

Hi.

On Fri, Nov 06, 2015 at 03:01:41PM +0100, Hiltjo Posthuma wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 2:39 PM, Alexander Huemer <alexander.huemer_AT_xx.vu> wrote:
> > this patch solved an inconvenience for me regarding at least mpv and
> > firefox.
> > In case there are no strong objections I recommend to mainline it.
>
> Can you explain in some greater detail what issue it fixes exactly for
> firefox and mpv, preferably with some steps to reproduce the issue?

Sure.

After setting up a new laptop with Debian stretch instead of jessie as
before and dwm git HEAD I noticed a behavioural change with mpv.
I start mpv in full-screen mode. When I then hit 'f' to un-fullscreen
the running video the resulting video window was floating in dwm terms
and did not have a window border.
A video started without the full-screen parameter does not behave so.
It is non floating, no matter what I do (like toggling full screen).
On my last machine mpv windows were always non floating by default.
I do not have special settings regarding mpv in the rules array.

I also noticed (after somebody on IRC mentioned it) that firefox windows
didn't have a window border either.

quinq was able to reproduce that behavior and came up with the patch
that landed on the ML.

Kind regards,
-Alex^Wblackbit