Re: [hackers] [surf] modal browsing

From: Quentin Rameau <quinq_AT_fifth.space>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2017 18:32:35 +0200

> Hi,

Hi ssd,

> modal browsing hasn't been first class citizen in surf. but given the
> recent activity in adding features and webkit2 may be there is a
> slightly better chance now.

Nope.

> attached is another rewrite of the modal browsing patch.
>
> I find particularly appealing the fact that when implemented in the
> browser code, it is independent of the JS loading policy. (AFAIR there
> are alternative implementations as plug-ins which can be adapted and
> used in .surf/script.js.)
>
> what the patch provides:
>
> - command line switch to enable modes
> - the default behaviour is unchanged
> - when enabled, modes resemble 2 vi inspired modes: "insert mode" and
> "normal mode"
> - insert mode is equivalent to the default behaviour
> - in normal mode, the MODKEY is assumed pressed, i.e. the bindings
> are active without pressing MODKEY.
>
> in addition:
>
> - the patch shifts around some default bindings in config.def.h to
> make the new functionality more consistent.

But I think it has it place in the patches, I'm sure you're not the
only one wanting to use this mode.

Just a few remarks regarding the patch, to you really need two state
variables for this (modal, insert_mode) instead of just one (like
inputmode)?
0|GDK_SHIFT_MASK is GDK_SHIFT_MASK

Thanks for your interest and work!

— Quentin