Re: [hackers] Licensing status of patches

From: Daniel Littlewood <danielittlewood_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 20:01:41 +0100

Dear Laslo,

Thanks for your reply - I appreciate that this does not have much
practical importance. Unfortunately the simplest way for me to version
my dwm copy is by hosting it on Github, which is in some sense
"publishing" it. I was hoping to be able to do this without worrying,
but it seems that the MIT license offers no such guarantee. I wonder
if the suckless team had considered using the GPL (which would).

Of course, it's true that in practice that a patcher is unlikely to
care if their patch is shared more widely (and not all of them are so
small). But after all, one could probably say the same about dwm's
license itself. If I choose to share the thing more widely, I will
probably take the pains to contact them. After all, it's best to be
sure.

Warm regards,
Daniel