Re: [hackers] Licensing status of patches

From: Hiltjo Posthuma <hiltjo_AT_codemadness.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 14:06:39 +0200

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 11:41:03AM +0200, Laslo Hunhold wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 11:19:43 +0200
> Hiltjo Posthuma <hiltjo_AT_codemadness.org> wrote:
>
> Dear Hiltjo,
>
> > I actively search for FOSS in my life and think using software which
> > is GPL-licensed is fine.
>
> yeah, opinions differ here of course. I also use a lot of GPL-licensed
> software, but avoid it in terms of GPLv3-licensing-issues when picking
> up APIs/libraries.
>
> > Maybe spreading virally is a better term (although maybe not
> > currently :)).
>
> Haha, one could say I didn't want to trigger any Google censor bots
> given the current global situation. ;) I can get behind the "viral"
> term though, and it's better suited here.
>
> > It is "restrictive" in this sense it forces a direction, which is by
> > design.
>
> Yes, in the end it's a matter of your personal world-view. MIT/ISC/etc.
> are "libertarian". They remove restrictions as much as possible and
> "let the free market" decide. The risk here is that big corporations or
> other powerful players (e.g. state actors) can take over a project and
> choose not to publich further modifications, and in a sense this
> corresponds to right-wing economic principles that trusts the free
> market.
>
> The GPL is corresponding to a left-wing economic view: Restrictions are
> set in place in the interest of steering the market in a way that is
> aligned with (possibly non-financial) political interests.

The last sentence regarding non-financial political interests is not
true/misleading. See also the page "Selling Free Software":
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.en.html

I think it is a too simplistic view mapping it to a certain economic/political
wing or to put it even more bluntly "people in business suits" vs hippies.

I think for businesses a development-model of selling and providing the full
FOSS and offer paid services for the custom work done is a more fair model.

--
Kind regards,
Hiltjo