Re: [hackers] Licensing status of patches

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 14:28:18 +0200

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 14:06:39 +0200
Hiltjo Posthuma <hiltjo_AT_codemadness.org> wrote:

Dear Hiltjo,

> The last sentence regarding non-financial political interests is not
> true/misleading. See also the page "Selling Free Software":
> https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.en.html

interesting link, thanks for sharing. Still, the FSF is a bit stuck in
the old days. You don't sell CDs with your software anymore (this
worked maybe 20 years ago), but you can make good money with providing
support, which is, I think, the most probable direction.

> I think it is a too simplistic view mapping it to a certain
> economic/political wing or to put it even more bluntly "people in
> business suits" vs hippies.

I was probably a bit too blunt and didn't want to paint that picture.
And keep in mind: I wasn't talking about a political wing (i.e. right-
or left-wing) in general but only the economic principles.

> I think for businesses a development-model of selling and providing
> the full FOSS and offer paid services for the custom work done is a
> more fair model.

Yes, I agree.

With best regards

Laslo