Re: [wmii] Whither wmi?

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 01:27:25 +0200

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 05:42:02PM -0400, Karl Guertin wrote:
> I've been using wmi for about a year on my laptop and loved the window
> manager. I recently switched jobs and picked up a new debian desktop
> in the process. Since I couldn't find any wmi-10 .deb files, I
> installed wmii-2.

Dunno where the .deb's are, but the source can be downloaded at:
http://wmii.de/download/wmi-10.tar.gz

> It makes me crazy. I strongly dislike every interaction design
> decision made in the wmi-10 to wmii-2 transition. I can, upon request,
> provide a detailed list of greviances, but I suspect it will stir up a
> lot of trouble for no reason.

No, feel free to post the list. I'd be interested. Actually
things still evolve and will change due to the upcoming column
layout and the silent switch to 9p2k capable servers in the
wmii-3 release soon.

> Is it possible to make wmii-2 (or the upcoming -3) behave like wmi-10?

Depends what you understand under 'behave like wmi-10'. We
summarized several revised things of the concept in wmi-10 or
Ion in following page: http://www.wmii.de/index.php/WMII/DynamicWM

Personally I noticed a big boost in my usage patterns since
using wmii-2 in a dynamic way. Sure, there are still many
annoyances which will be fixed soon
(http://www.wmii.de/index.php/WMII/Bugs).

> I know one of the motivations for the rewrite is to make the system
> more flexible, so I figured it's worth a shot. If that isn't possible,
> can anybody provide an old .deb file for wmi-10?

I'm sure there're .debs somewhere, but dunno the URL, because
I use a different OS...

Regards,