Re: [wmii] Whither wmi?

From: Karl Guertin <grayrest_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:07:02 -0400

On 10/26/05, David Tweed <tweed314_AT_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Going off at a slight tangent here: anybody on this
> list knowledgeable about human computer interaction/
> cognitive psychology and in particular any good
> references to what characteristics human "visual
> spatial memory" has?

I have a reasonably strong background in HCI-- coursework in uni,
extensively read, get paid to do it-- but I'm not an expert/published.
I doubt there's anything out there directly dealing with the topic at
hand, tiled window managers are something of an oddity and as far as I
know have never had commercial backing (no research funding means no
research).

The closest thing you will find widely debated is the spatial vs
browser file manager debate., which is a popular debate in the Mac
community. Here's an argument for spatial browsing that's designed to
be comprehensible to the layman:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/finder.ars/2 . I don't have a
comparable article for browser style file managers. The thing to
remember about HCI is that there are few universal truths and quite a
bit comes down to the individual user's expectation and taste.