Re: [wmii] wmii Q's (python bindings & attaching windows)

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:04:46 +0100

On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 03:08:24PM -0500, Jeremy Hankins wrote:
> I started with wmii-2 (from the debian repository) until I realized how
> much the configuration is to change with wmii-3, so I switched to the
> darcs repository. However, the python stuff I wrote while playing with
> wmii-2 (using the python2.3-libixp v2-1 package from debian) no longer
> works -- it hangs on any attempt to read from the filesystem. Is there
> a newer version of the python bindings, or is there something I might be
> doing wrong?

They aren't in sync, wether with old libixp nor with the
upcoming new libixp which speaks 9P (thus the link Uriel pointed
to is valid in the future when all wmi file servers speak 9P
properly) - but you might not want to depdnd on python bindings,
because you can then use mount -t 9p2000
/tmp/.ixp-$USER/wmifs-$WMII_IDENT with Linux 2.6.14+.

(thus not now, but at least around xmas)

> My second question is how to switch to a window given a path -- e.g.,
> /wm/page/1/managed/2/client/2, or /wm/detached/3. I looked at the
> 'navigate' script (from a tar off the web page), which has some code

You can use 'wmir write /wm/ctl 'find <frame id>'' resp.
'wmir write /wm/page/sel/mode/sel/ctl 'select <client id>''

Though you might need to browse the hierarchy for more
complicated stuff. Note that with the 9P switch in wmiiwm till
wmii-4 around xmas the namespace will be simplified.

> (If you're wondering, I'm hoping to replicate the functionality of the
> app.lua script I wrote for ion: basically, if application X is running,
> show it to me, otherwise start it.)

Well as Uriel pointed out, we're looking for a good plumbing
implementation.

Regards,