Re: [wmii] wmii Q's (python bindings & attaching windows)

From: David Tweed <tweed314_AT_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 14:57:50 +0000 (GMT)

--- "Anselm R. Garbe" <garbeam_AT_wmii.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 11:53:26AM +0000, David
> Tweed wrote:
> In
> contrast to that, libixp2 (which will be called
> libixp in future
> when the old one can be dropped) will speak 9P
> completely and
> provide a select() loop based general purpose server
> interface
> and a simple client interface (which is already
> done, wmir2 uses
> it already and you can browse 9P fileservers with
> wmir2, like
> acme from plan9port).

So the key message is that everything's being
rewritten and that it'll be simpler to figure
everything out once there's a complete transition to
the new way. That makes a lot of sense. (I'm asking
because I'm considering using something -- presumably
libixp -- that understands the 9p protocol for
application configuration.)

> The old approach with a pseudo ramfs as interface
> for internal
> stuff was handy, but contained several overhead,
> which will be
> removed now. Though I must admit, that the code gets
> harder to
> understand in future without knowing 9P details,
> because it
> might look magic to an average C programmer that
> function calls
> and data manipulation is done through an adequate
> Qid addressing.

I must admit what put me off was that, the "current"
way, every source file that wants to use a variable
has to explicitly use the 9p stuff, whereas if it's
setting standard variables (localised in one file)
it'd be easier to replace the 9p configuration if I
later decide it wasn't the right tool for
configuration.

thanks for enlightenment,

cheers, dave