Re: [wmii] Grid Layout Adjustments

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 15:12:20 +0100

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 04:06:02PM -0500, Jared Buckner wrote:
> So I recoded the get_base_geometry function to generate the number of
> rows/columns such that each frame is as close as possible to a pre-set `golden'
> aspect ratio. For my display, this is much more useful.

Now I received your patches and applied them - and I understand
what your golden aspect ratio actually does. For grid layout
this might prevent the odd-sized frames in your
(Xinerama?-)resolution. To polish it for wmii-2 I'd propose you
to write an additional get_base_geometry function instead of
changing the existing one, because the get_base_geometry
algorithm is used by the pager and detached client layers in
wmii-2 as well.

Anyway due to the fact that grid layout will be obsolete with
today evening's (hopefully not delayed again) snap, because
column layout provides what you need in a dynamic way, I think
it might be a better idea to not polish things anymore for the
wmii-2 codebase, except you won't switch to -current until the
release.

> 2 - I think others might be interested in the code change. How do I submit a
> patch for testing?

Maybe just post the changes to this list if you like. A
recursive diff -u patchfile might be best.

Regards,