Re: [wmii] 9base install directory

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 00:35:20 +0100

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 01:48:50PM +0100, Nico Golde wrote:
> the default installation of 9base installs to /usr/local/9
> What about chaning it to /usr/local/plan9? Cause the plan9
> userland ports use this directory structure in their
> scripts.

I don't see the point mixing up plan9port with 9base, that's why
9base uses a different default prefix. Wether you install
plan9port or 9base, you only need one toolchain to run the new
scripts for wmii. 9base only provides those tools we actually
really use in the scripts and those tools are statically linked
in contrast to those of plan9port (which are dynamically linked
against libc and libX11 for instance).

There are some other differences between 9base and plan9port:
- plan9port contains the source ($PLAN9/{src,include}) if
  installed somewhere, 9base doesn't
- plan9port assumes the rcmain in $PLAN9/, 9base assumes it more
  Unix-friendly in 9PREFIX/etc/rcmain (for those not knowing
  what rcmain is, it is the env-bootstrapping setup script of rc
  shell)

Regards,