Re: [wmii] recommended system tray applet for wmii

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:48:00 +0100

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 04:34:00PM +0000, Charlie Law wrote:
> While I do prefer using the keyboard for more and more things
> in Linux, there's one little application that I like to access
> from an icon in a system tray. The application is Tomboy,
> which is an excellent note-taking application (though I wish
> it didn't require so much Gnomish support).
>
> Can anyone recommend a simple system tray applet that works
> well with wmii-2.5? I'd like the Tomboy icon to show up next
> to the date, for example.
>
> I can access Tomboy with a hotkey sequence, but for some
> reason this is one thing I prefer to use a rodent for.

wmii does not understand system tray icon-specific apps. They
are broken by design. Anyway, if the app you're using has a sane
remote interface you can create a new bar label for it, ie:

i=`{wmiir read /bar/new}
wmiir write /bar/$i/data 'notes'
wmiir write /bar/$i/b1press '<program args to show up the notes>'

(You can add this to wmiirc for example)

Regards,