[wmii] Re: wmii 2.2 packages in Debian ready for an upgrade?

From: Daniel Baumann <daniel.baumann_AT_panthera-systems.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 19:08:52 +0100

Tom wrote:
> 2.5.1, as is generally acclaimed, meant quite some progress compared
> to 2.2. As I noticed at archive.daniel-baumann.ch, you have already
> packaged 2.5.1. Could you enlighten me (or rather, the wmii list, cf.
> the Cc:) about possible circumstances that prevent 2.5.1 from entering
> Debian? It's almost time to start thinking about 3... :)

First: Packages at archive.daniel-baumann.ch (for versions not entered
Debian) are my current *test-packages*.

Even if there are newer packages of wmii available on this site, this
does not imply that they are already suitable for Debian or even the
work is done for a update/upgrade; otherwise they were uploaded to
Debian. Those packages are just there as a service for those users, who
want them (I don't hide anything). These packages can change several
times within a day, without changing the version/revision number, and
can be completely broken. Trust me.. as soon as the package is fine, I
issue the upload to Debian.

Second: wmii 2.5.1 was uploaded yesterday[0].

Note: Unfortunately, there was some missunderstanding between me and my
sponsor, so the current wmii in unstable is broken, because 9base is
stuck at NEW[1]. In the meanwhile you can download the 9base package
from [2] (this is not a test-package, it is the one uploaded to Debian
and works well).

Third: wmii only depends on rc-shell from 9base

It is too much overhead to install 9base and all those 9base tools when
only using the rc-shell. Unfortunately, wmii does not work with the
original rc-shell[3], and the inclusion of just the rc-shell from 9base
into wmii did not suceeded in the first trivial attempt. However, I will
stay trying to get rid of the 9base depend on the long term, to keep
wmii as small as possible.

Btw, for those who use Debian stable, I did upload the corresponding
packages to backports.org but while wmii is currently bloked in
unstable, the respective packages for Sarge are available at [4] and
[5]. These are no test-packages too, they are the one which I do upload
unchanged to backports.org once 9base did enter unstable.

> I am not that knowledgeable with the Debian packaging process myself
> (servers, and queues, and maintainers, and all), and couldn't find a
> bug report, so I figured mailing you directly about it would be my
> best shot.

That's just fine. Additionally, I'm subscribed to the wmii list now.

Regards,
Daniel

[0] http://packages.qa.debian.org/w/wmii/news/1.html
[1] http://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html
[2] http://archive.daniel-baumann.ch/debian/packages/9base/1-1/
[3] http://packages.qa.debian.org/rc
[4] http://archive.daniel-baumann.ch/debian/packages/9base/1-0bpo1/
[5] http://archive.daniel-baumann.ch/debian/packages/wmii/2.5.1-0bpo1/

Email:          daniel.baumann_AT_panthera-systems.net