Re: [wmii] Stacks

From: David Tweed <tweed314_AT_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 12:39:29 +0000 (GMT)

--- "Anselm R. Garbe" <garbeam_AT_wmii.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 09:59:25PM +0000, David
> Tweed wrote:
> > One thing I'm experimenting with in Medea & my
> hacked
> > Ion3 is allowing windows to be grouped into sets
> > assigned a string label (eg, "experiments",
> > "classifier", "gui", ...) and then having a WM
> command
> > to "make visible all windows in group 'x'", which
> is
> > doing something similar. And that helps me a
> > reasonable amount.
>
> I think the label grouping is an additional layer
> which would
> make the concept less efficient to me. In my eyes
> pages in wmii
> are actually for grouping windows which relate to
> each other.

One of the reasons I ended up trying groups is that
the stuff in each group is just "most commonly
related". So for example, the windows that show output
images and graphs under "experiments" are things that
I often want to look at together when I change the
algorithm & rerun the experiment. Likewise the source
code windows under "classifier" are windows I often
want to look at together when I'm changing the source.
But sometimes I want to view one of the source code
windows in the classifier group along with the windows
visible in the experiments group to try and figure out
which artifact of the code gives those results.
Likewise lots of other cases where I want windows
mixed between groups on screen at once. What's useful
about being able to make all the windows in a group
visible at once is that once I've finished with a
mixed setup I can go back to one of the setups with
just the windows in a given group visible very
quickly.

As I understand pages, they're designed for a more
long-term division and this sort of thing mixed thing
is more difficult. (Ie, a window can only be on one
page at once, so you those no quick way to
"temporarily" put a window onto a different page, then
put it back where it came from when finished.)

Anyway, it's not a perfect idea but I do find it
useful in practice,

cheers, dave