Re: [wmii] summary of some #wmii talk on 2006-03-02

From: Doug Bell <dougb_AT_bellz.org>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 22:38:11 -0500

John Nowak wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2006, at 1:55 PM, Doug Bell wrote:
>
> >As a compromise, how about something I'll call "column memory". When
> >the last app in a column is closed, the column disappears so that the
> >remaining column gets the space. But, when the next app is started,
> >wmii remembers that there was another column, so the app goes into a
> >new column with the old column's position and size. You would, of
> >course, need a command such as "forget column history" when you don't
> >want this behavior.
>
> This, of course, requires that -I- remember the column history.
> Functionality of the WM should be predictable regardless of if I
> remember what I did 15 minutes ago. I personally think that manually
> clearing column history is far over the top.

It doesn't require you to remember it - the bottom bar could easily
contain an indication that there are columns in memory. A single
keystoke to clear it if desired is simpler than the other approaches
being discussed (tagging columns or dealing with empty columns).

The "memory" is just a method for returning to a column layout that you
previously had (if desired). It's really the same purpose as allowing
empty columns, without as much overhead.

> >Also, there would be a new column command that works like the current
> >snapshots, to place an active app into a new column initially.
> >
> >This scheme eliminates many of the negative features of the other
> >approaches. Column sizes are maintained after apps are closed.
> >Tagging of columns is not necessary, since a apps would go into a new
> >column if the history exists and not otherwise. And no space is
> >wasted on empty columns.
> >
> >What does everyone think?
>
> I think the column should just hang out there and I can manually
> remove it if I want if the only alternative is some creepy column
> history I need to manually clear on occasion.

You're complaining about a single keystroke (<1 second) to clear the
history when desired. And you probably wouldn't do it all that often,
anyway, since keeping the history just means you go back to an
arrangement you had before as you add clients.

> At least if it stays there, I know exactly there I stand. Predictably
> and naturalness are critical for any wm.

I think going back to a previous arrangement that you set up (and
evidently preffered for additional clients) is quite natural.

> Saving an extra second to kill the column seems hardly worth all of
> these additional conceptual complexities, key commands, and memory
> requirements of the user.

Instead, you're arguing for an empty column. Don't forget that killing
an extra column means it has to have focus. So, either the column keeps
focus after the last client is deleted or it loses it. The first case
means thinking about and switching focus to a real client before
resuming work (assuming you want to keep the column). The second case
requires you to switch focus before being able to kill the empty
column that is taking up valuable space.

Doug.