Re: [wmii] summary of some #wmii talk on 2006-03-02

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 22:31:42 +0100

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 04:24:33PM -0500, Karl Guertin wrote:
> Think about how easy it is to work with two windows using the MS
> Windows, Mac OS X, or Metacity window managers. You alt+tab between
> the two without thinking about it, it's a O(1) operation. When you add
> a third window, the process breaks down and you must search through a
> window listing to get to the third window. This introduces a new task
> and interrupts workflow, it's an O(n) operation even not considering
> the workflow interruption.
>
> Using my wmi setup I can switch between at least 8 windows as an O(1)
> operation and no workflow interruption, which is the only reason I use
> wmi rather than a more mainstream window manager. This is not possible
> using wmii, as the window manager rearranges windows all over the
> place so jumping to a given window involves finding the window,
> providing no benefit over more mainstream window managers. Switching
> between windows is an O(n) operation in wmii and not tacit at all.

I see. Well, in wmii-3 you can provide windows arbitrary tags to
group them dynamically. Assumed you do this once and the
grouping will not change afterwards, you can select nearly any
window in O(3) regardless how many windows you got, if you
remember your tags and within a workspace (based on tag
matching) you can select the column directly and the specific
window within a column directly.

Assumed you rarely change your workspace, you have not more
interaction points then in wmi-10, so your average window
selection opertaion might get near O(1) (ie through addressing
them with Alt-[1..9,a-z].

I beleive, that you can use a dynamic window manager in a static
way.

Regards,