Re: [wmii] wmiiwm: cannot open display

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:17:25 +0100

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 04:09:59AM -0800, weird earth wrote:
> hi everyone! it's my first time installing wmii... i wonder
> what's wrong with my installation. i am using slackware 10.2.
> i use xdm as my session manager and changed my DISPLAY
> environment variable (/etc/profile) to DISPLAY=localhost:0
> exec wmii, but i get errors... so i decided to comment the
> export DISPLAY line.. this time, i get: wmiiwm: cannot open
> display
>
> i followed the installation procedure in the README of wmii.
> the only thing i am not sure of is configuring the DISPLAY
> envirnment variable.. i guess the problem is in this step?

Version of wmii?

Normally you don't need to touch the DISPLAY var, wmii just inherits
that provided by xinit/xdm or whoever process starts wmii.

You only need to append the screens to DISPLAY var if you run
different instances on different screens, but this is only
interesting for a multihead setup.

Regards,