Re: [wmii] feature suggestion/is this feature available yet?

From: David Tweed <tweed314_AT_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 14:27:00 +0000 (GMT)

--- Jeffrey Lim <jfs.world_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Sometimes, when i am doing xterm-intensive stuff, i
> like to have my
> display in a tiled mode (love the fantastic idea,
> btw), with several
> xterms. This allows me to keep track of several
> things at once (and
> why screen is not the answer for this situation).
> Thing is, i find
> that i often have to remember, and keep track of
> which xterm is which
> due to the same labelling that they all have for
> their titlebars
> ('xterm'). This is made worse, when i do several
> "switches" with
> $MODKEY-enter.
>
> So basically, is there a way to rename the labels of
> the title bars?

For the specific case of terminal windows, you can use
ASCII escape sequences in your setting of the PS1
prompt which will set the window title. If you're
using bash, googling for "setting bash prompt" will
bring up some pages on that. (Same thing can be done
under other shells, but you're less likely to find
shell specific documentation and will have to adapt
the bash stuff.)

I don't know about a direct wm way to set the title
for other applications which haven't assumed you may
have multiple instances running and so should set
informative titles (Gnuplot I'm looking at you here
:-) )

HTH,
cheers, dave tweed,