Re: [wmii] snap: 20060313 -- tag bugs?

From: Stefan Tibus <stefan.tibus_AT_uni-konstanz.de>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:44:29 +0100

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 08:45:14AM +0100, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> That sounds veru weird. You never should write \n in tag strings
> because this is a fs interface and \n are valid characters, thus
> writing foo\n will write exactly foo\n to the tags file. That
> you get empty entries in /tags might only be related to these
> \n's (they insert newlines when fprinting to stdout).
>
> Though \n chars might be treated by the wmiirc event loop.
>
> I'd use following syntax instead (also the extern prefix looks
> wrong, because writing to the fs does not need any env
> cleanups):
>
> $MODKEY-Control-Shift-t)
> echo -n `wmiir read /tags | sort | wmiimenu` | wmiir write /ws/sel/sel/tags &;;
>
> $MODKEY-Control-t)
> echo -n select `wmiir read /tags | sort | wmiimenu` | wmiir write /ctl &;;
>
> (Though untested)

Hello Anselm,

this works as well as using xwrite (which does just the same). It also
resolves the problem of empty tags in /tags and clicking on the labels
works now as well. However I wonder why I need the echo -n but can't
just do
        wmiir read /tags | sort | wmiimenu | wmiir write /ws/sel/sel/tags ;;
to assign new tags. This had been my first approach.

Do you recommend the use of "&"? When using xwrite you don't have it...

Going to try the new snap now...

Regards,
Stefan