Re: [wmii] OpenBSD on snap 3.16.2006 not working 2.5.2p1 OK

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:30:05 +0100

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 03:57:43PM -0800, iv_AT_c-66-229-172-60.hsd1.ca.comcast.net wrote:
> In addition is their a way to incorporate a X windows based instant popup...

You can use wmiimenu as replacement for 9menu, though it is
keyboard-driven, 9menu is mouse driven.

> I used 9menu which works great but I would like to have certain applications
> POP up for my scientific users at certain times when they are supposed to
> take readings of insturments and it pops up for them with an "exit" button
> after they click on the menu popup to run the measurement app. That way they
> are free to use their mind on other things...

wmiimenu of recent snapshots simply reads a list of entries
(separated by \n) and displays them as menu entries, if the user
selects such entry or enters something else and presses RETURN,
wmiimenu prints the selection to stdout and exits (this allows
using wmiimenu for gathering arbitrary input as well). If the
user cancels the menu and presses ESC, wmiimenu exits with
return code != 0 and does not print anything to stdout.

> I installed the wmii-3 snap of 3.16 and it did not work something about
> xwrite or something .. I rolled back to 2.5.2p1 .. I am on OpenBSD 3.8 on
> iBooks g4 in the oil field with wmii-2.5.2p1. I had to use OpenBSD as it was
> required by the Oil companies security.

This snap works on OpenBSD 3.8 well for me, but maybe you can
provide more information to make some assumptions for error
diagnosis. Getting xwrite errors might be related to several reasons.
(ie wmiir cannot access the wmii socket, or you mixed up an
installation with older wmiirc's in $HOME/.wmii-3, ...)

Regards,