[wmii] Fwd: Re: tags vs. views

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:17:02 +0200

----- Forwarded message from "Anselm R. Garbe" <garbeam_AT_wmii.de> -----

Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:15:14 +0200
From: "Anselm R. Garbe" <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
To: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: tags vs. views

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 10:12:59AM +0200, Sander van Dijk wrote:
> > I think you miss the point. If you select a view like '1+2' and
> > in the meantime you want to switch to '3' then you have to
> > explicitly to reselect '1+2' from the menu with entering '1+2'
> > again, although it is still cached. For singular views you got
> > shortcuts, they can be accessed very fast. That is why I create
> > a label especially because of those joint views, to access them
> > right faster through a mouse click, then entering the tag
> > combination again and again to the menu, once you want to switch
> > back to such a view.
>
> Yes, from a practical point of view that is definitely true, but I
> think that this should be done in a different way, something like
> holding ctrl or alt, then clicking all tags you want to show with the
> mouse, then show them on button-release; this is almost as simple as
> the separate labels, and doesn't make a difference between cached and
> uncached views.

Actually thinking of the alternative to highlight all single
tags which are currently viewed seems to be a considerable idea
I haven't thought of this yet. (It would correlate with providing some
way you described above, but I know a more simple way, just
define right clicking a tag as 'view `wmiir read /def/ws`+$1'.

The only necessary change would be that my ~ prefix in tag
labels should be removed and the user has to remember which
layer he has selected.

Would this be ok?

Regards,

----- End forwarded message -----