Re: [wmii] Dynamicness, Window Sizes (again, sorry) and Xinerama.

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 14:56:44 +0200

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 10:30:22PM +1000, Adrian Ratnapala wrote:
> I'm thinking the wmii-3 model of "dynamicness" is a bit wrong
> because it actually involves a lot more manual-layout than 2.5.
> I think this is because 2.5 shuffled windows dynamically within
> a fixed "landscape", while in the new snaps window are pegged
> statically to their columns. The "dynamics" is then concentrated
> in creating the landscape, which, as the last thread shows,
> creates instability and human repair-work.

Actually the wmii-3 way is similiar powerful:

To setup a larswm-alike layout do following:

$MODKEY-x $MODKEY-x $MODKEY-Shift-n $MODKEY-x $MODKEY-Control-h

Optionally you can set the master column to max mode $MODKEY-m
and move stuff around ($MODKEY-Shift-h/l).

To setup a vsplit-alike layout, just run as many clients you
want in a single column.

To setup max-alike layout, just run as many clients you want in
a single column set to max mode.

To setup grid-alike layout, create n*n clients and create n
columns, set up each column with appropriate clients.

Anyway, I don't recommend to use the column layout in such old
usage patterns, instead I recommend to unlearn what you knew and
try to get used to the column layout. You'll notice after some
time, once you got familiar especially with the shortcuts:

$MODKEY-h/j/k/l
$MODKEY-Shift-n (new column)
$MODKEY-Shift-h/l (move prev/next)
$MODKEY-Control-h/l (swap prev/next)
$MODKEY-d
$MODKEY-s
$MODKEY-m

You'll notice that column layout is adaptable more efficiently
to each situation, than the layouts we got before. Not only
because tiled or grid layout scaled badly, also because the
basic mechanisms are reduced to a bunch of core key bindings.

> Consider Xinerama. In order to prevent columns spanning a
> monitor boundary, I must have both my monitors at 1200x1024,
> and must be careful to always use an even number of
> columns. None of this would be necessary if the monitor
> boundaries were part of a fixed landscape that controlled
> column sizes.

I know, I recommend using multihead instead of Xinerama atm.

Regards,