Re: [wmii] new (consistent) keybindings in the hg repo

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 17:29:48 +0000

On 4/11/06, Bartosz Trudnowski <hrr888_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> You're right. But decision must be made, which sucks less: key bindings
> collisions with apps or changing $MODKEY by users with 'less standard' ;)
> keyboards. I have one such keyboard. It lacks Win/Menu keys, but have
> Select, which I xmodmaped to Mod4 :). On another (Sun) machine keyboard have
> 'diamond' keys, which my Debian map automatically to Mod4. I think that
> keyboards, that hasn't any 'nonstandard' key are quite rare. Defaults mean
> 'acceptable for most people', not 'for all peope', isn't?

Well I guess our opinions differ in this area. Sure, collisions with
apps are annoying, but using non-standard keys is just a plain mistake
(it would be just as stupid as using mousebutton 6 and 7 in the
default setup).
Default should definitely mean 'acceptable' for all people, not just
most. What you are suggesting is a default that is 'perfect' to some,
but completely unusable for others.

Sander.