Re: [wmii] Automatic destruction of views

From: Chris Foster <foster_AT_physics.uq.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 22:38:09 +1000

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 01:32:08PM +0200, Denis Grelich wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I find it quite cumbersome that views that don't have any clients are
> destroyed automatically. Firstly, it adds some unpredictability: you
> don't know where you end up when your current view is destroyed.
> Secondly, the current behaviour is quite annoying in that respect that
> it forces me to re-type the tagname if I accidently destroyed a window
> or if I want to remove a tag from a window but add another client to
> that view. If a destroyed and recreated client is tagged by a rule,
> the current behaviour forces me to go back to the view which is not
> only ugly but also slows down the workflow considerably. Last but not
> least, this behaviour was introduced as a means to add some
> consistency to column behaviour, but actually, there is about zero
> relation between clients and views?
>
> Please revert to the old behaviour.

At risk of writing a "me too" mail, I have to say I completely agree
with Denis' points on this one... if only to add the weight of one extra
opinion... The fact that I have to remember to add new clients before
removing the old ones seems very clunky to me, although the main
irritation is ending up in a view which quite probably has nothing to do
with the task I'm currently engaged in.

~Chris.