Re: [wmii] Identifying the selected client

From: David Tweed <tweed314_AT_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 21:41:02 +0100 (BST)

--- "Anselm R. Garbe" <garbeam_AT_wmii.de> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 05:38:24PM +0200, Anselm R.
> Garbe wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 04:41:06PM +0000, Neptun
> wrote:
> > > Is there any way to identify the selected client
> so that you can access
> > > it's properties after it is not selected any
> more?
> >
> > No, simply because indexes aren't static and may
> change if a new
> > client gets attached or moved/swapped around.
> Actually I have
> > something different in mind, I'd like to represent
> the clients
> > in /client with their window id (see xprop for
> detail), ie.
> >
> > /client/0x8063663/
> >
> > This window id might be accessed with
> >
> > /view/X/Y/id
>
> Maybe doing this with the unique client id (which is
> wmii's
> internal client address) might be better, because
> window id's
> look pretty cryptic...

This would be pretty useful for programs which want
the window manager to do their tiling for them. One
question: so I've got a program with multiple windows,
can the program in some way find out the mapping from
XWindow stuff it knows about to the wmii identifier?

Also, I remember you saying that Linux technology (I
forget whether it was FUSE on the 9p filesystem) would
enable direct mounting of the wmii filesystem. Is that
something which still needs changes to the wmii set of
programs, or is the wmii end of this finished?

cheers, dave tweed

cheers, dave tweed