Re: [wmii] Identifying the selected client

From: David Tweed <tweed314_AT_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 00:20:26 +0100 (BST)

--- Bartosz Trudnowski <hrr888_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/23/06, Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 09:41:02PM +0100, David
> Tweed wrote:
> > > This would be pretty useful for programs which
> want
> > > the window manager to do their tiling for them.
> One
> > > question: so I've got a program with multiple
> windows,
> > > can the program in some way find out the mapping
> from
> > > XWindow stuff it knows about to the wmii
> identifier?
> >
> > Only if we'd use the window id, otherwise the
> internal wmii
> > identifier is wmii-specific (basically a value
> which is unique,
> > but increased for each new window).

Just to be clear: what I'm thinking about is that the
program wants to do something with a window (change
its tag, or something). At the moment it could only do
this when that window is the selected window, but that
restricts the program in that it's got to be sure that
the window it wants to do something with is the
_currently_ selected window. Apart from anything else,
presumably that opens up a theoretical race if the
user switches windows before the program does the
write to the filesystem. So being able to write stuff
about windows by some stable identifier to wmii is
useful, but needs some way for the program to find out
what wmii is calling this window.
You're saying there's no way for a program to find
this out?

All this is `inspired' on my non-mainstream viewpoint
that it'd be useful to have applications which
delegate actually doing window
tiling/columns/focus/whatever to the window manager,
but which do send requests to do various interesting
things (eg, split the current column) to the wm. (This
is in contrast to the current situation where IDE's,
browsers, etc, implement their own `window subidvision
management' models, each one different.) [I'm trying
to do some stuff along these lines on my MEDEA program
but it's moving slowly due to "real work" pressures.]

cheers, dave tweed