Re: [wmii] snap: 20060425 - xpdf

From: Stefan Tibus <sjti_AT_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:29:00 +0200

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 07:04:12AM -0700, iv_AT_c-66-229-172-60.hsd1.ca.comcast.net wrote:
> XpdF uses a nested window. You need to get hints and events from both
> otherwise you will have the sizing problem you indicate.. This is a common
> problem with word processors, spreadsheets, and most programs that have some
> type of Document model paradigm happening... Its just more technology that
> WinBloze has given us along with other people imitating it in Xwindows which
> I find totally annoying...
>
> that grey area around your program in the GUI is not helping you...:) it
> just sucks up space and DOES nothing. somebody should strip that out of XpdF
> and make it clean.. it does not need the crappy winBloze look and feel which
> I find repulsive.. microAndSoft Created the stupid Grey-Area around GUI's
> and it plagues us till today. Time to KILL it. :)oseph the Win-Doze
> executioner

Hmm...if it has a nested window, I can't see what's so difficult in resizing
it - should be no problem at all and as Anselm said its the client's job.
For now I can only tell that the problem doesn't occur on another UltraSPARC
running NetBSD. So it may be Sun's X-Server as well as that Solaris-binary.

Regarding that grey area, however, I have to say I don't care about the
color it has, but I'd sure like to see what the size of my paper is. So I
need some frame around it. And obviously the area outside the paper is
wasted. (Besides the area containing the controls.) And I can't figure out
how to resolve this on any system if the client's window has another aspect
ratio than the page shown. So I'd not blame MS on that, though I don't
like them at all... Whether one needs nested windows in order to do that
is, of course, another question.

Regards,
Stefan