Re: [wmii] Column Layouts

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 19:20:15 +0000

On 4/28/06, Jonas Domeij <jonas.domeij_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> To make a long thread even longer, ironically I'd like to bring up the
> discussion about an abandoned mode - the exclusive flag. It seemed
> forgotten in the intense debate over empty columns. Many users
> switching from wmii-2.5 to a recent snap seem to miss larswm's way of
> doing things, after which they're told to get used to columns. Well, I
> still miss larswm's simplicity and automacy, which is unsurpassed in
> my opinion. I believe the exclusive flag can merge the two in a nice
> way.

Exclusive columns were dropped in favor of a swapping mechanism:
M-C-{h,l} swaps the currently selected client with the selected client
of its neighbour column. This allows an easy simulation (not
identical, but pretty close) of larswm behavior: if you create two
columns, put one client in the left, and any others in the right, and
then use only swap commands, you have pretty much the behavior that
larswm has (with one notable exception: if you open a new client with
the left column focussed, you'll get two clients in it, so you'll have
to send one of them to the right manually). In other words, when you
use only the swap commands, the amount of clients per column will not
change, like in larswm. wmii's approach is more general though, since
you can also choose to make the right column the 'zoomed' one instead
of the left, or use > 2 columns, or have two clients in your 'zoomed'
column instead of one).

Greetings, Sander.