Re: [wmii] rc0: 20060427-rc0-tschernobyl, wmiirc shortcuts patch

From: Anthony Martin <ality_AT_pbrane.org>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 14:28:17 -0700

"Anselm R. Garbe" <garbeam_AT_wmii.de> once said:
> On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 10:44:23PM +0400, Alex Elide wrote:
> > I think, this is better, then necessity to maintain two
> > separate list of buttons and actions in two different places
> > in wmiirc.
>
> I agree that maintaining two places for shortcuts (first place
> the defintions and second place the event messages) in wmiirc is
> a bit messy and not optimal, but it is the way which sucks less
> in my eyes. Your proposal doesn't look to be sh-compliant, I
> doubt that it would run in old plain sh or ksh on a BSD without
> trouble, thus it cannot be a default (even it it might be POSIX
> sh compliant).
>
> Also, all approaches I can guess which only use one place to
> define and catch the shortcuts (the most portable and elegant
> approach was an awk-based one I recently saw on IRC), lack to
> support straight-forward execution of multiple commands in the
> event catching loop (beside being somewhat cryptic and awkward).
>
> [...]

Sleepydog and I were playing around with some ideas a little while ago,
trying to get this concept to work. There was the awk-based approach
that Anselm was talking about and another sh-based approach. I just
couldn't figure out a sane way to create a hash table of keys and
actions in a POSIX compliant way without resorting to having an external
file.

With both of these approaches, it was difficult (not to mention ugly) to
create a key binding that executed many commands.

Eventually I stopped working on it because I felt it was getting to
unwieldy. I agree that the current way is very simple and
straight-forward. However, I may try to tackle this problem in the near
future.

regards,
  ality

--
"The right to be left alone is indeed the beginning of all freedom."