Re: [wmii] Swapping (was: Re: mouse and tagging)

From: Chris King <colanderman_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 10:55:34 -0400

On 5/5/06, Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de> wrote:
> - improve mouse-based moving as follows: always attach the
> client which is moved within or to a different column before
> the client the pointer points to (and not at the end as it is
> done in keyboard-driven mode)

This creates the opposite problem: the user can't move a client to the
end of the column at all with the mouse. Maybe move the "source"
client to before the "target" client if the mouse is in the upper half
of the target's window, but after the target client if the mouse is in
the lower half.

On another note while playing with mouse moves in rc1 I notice an
inconsistency: when moving a large client from the left column into
the right column, the client is moved into the column only if the
mouse pointer points to it, but a new column is created if the center
of the client, rather than the mouse pointer, is moved offscreen.
This can make it impossible to get the pointer in the right column
without moving the client's center offscreen if the mouse grabs the
client far left from its center. Maybe make all moves based on the
pointer only, a new column being created if the mouse moves to the
edge of the screen? This could pave the way for dropping clients
between columns, too.