Re: [wmii] suggestions for the sanitizing of swapping

From: Denis Grelich <denisg_AT_ueberl33t.info>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 12:17:15 +0200

On Sat, 6 May 2006 10:40:57 +0200
"Sander van Dijk" <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> - Invert the taglabel of the selected client in "default" columns.
> With "max" and "stack" columns, it is always clear what client is
> going to be swapped with, with "default" columns not, because one
> can't tell which client is the selected one. The suggested visual
> feedback would eliminate this unpredictability.

Inverting is a pretty strong visual emphasis, even too strong for this use. It pulls too much attention to itself. If it is stressed only when M or M-C are pressed, it would be quite good. Then, a) it is immediately clear what is meant by that emphasis, and b) it does not distract you while working. On the other hand, a simple ">" in the bar is way too little. It's a little complicated, but I think a good way in the middle should be found.
But then, it is possible that even with visual feedback it could be too confusing. If it does not work out, I would opt for removing keyboard-driven swapping in wmii-4 (being replaced by other more powerful mechanisms), and when moving to a def-layouted column just to attach the window at the bottom.

But I agree to the overall message of Sander's mail.

Greetings,
Denis