[wmii] Re: wmii 3.0 missing feature

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 15:56:04 +0200

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 03:21:37PM +0200, Timo Benk wrote:
> Now i had just installed v3.0.
>
> Whoo, where is the tab-feature, is it gone?
>
> Stacked Mode is fine, but it consumes a lot of space. Will the
> tab-feature be included again sometime in the future?

No, stacking is the better tabbing. Tabbing is not planned to be
included again, we removed it for various reasons. In summary:

- tabbing makes an additional navigation layer necessary,
  stacking not
  (additional navigation layer means more complex user
  interface)
- tabbing don't scales well with more than 3 clients, the
  titlebar would get cropped off, stacking scales up to 30
  clients in modern screen resolutions
- tabbing don't scales well with tagbars (for wmii-4 they are
  planned to be directly editable), stacking does scale fine

For more reasons see the mailing list archives.

Regards,