Re: [wmii] Unnecessary(?) redraw on tagging change

From: Kris Maglione <bsdaemon_AT_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 22:28:41 -0400

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 10:20:03AM -0400, Ross Mohn wrote:
>A side note - FreeNX is your friend!
>http://freenx.berlios.de/

I agree, but FreeNX is also, as another sidenote, evil. The entire bloody
thing (other than the core) is written in bash(!). It would have been easier
to write it in C. I've had to make changes to it in the past and it's an
absolute nightmare. Also, the whole setup is an enormous hack. If you want
encryption, you tunnel over OpenSSH, otherwise, the server connects to the
client, like active FTP. Just plain messy. Also, it lacks the ability to
change connection parameters dynamicaly, such as compression and the
aforemtioned encryption. I won't even go into SMB and ESD tunneling.

I wish I had the time to rewrite the bloody thing, core and all, in some
reasonable form, but I don't. The FreeNX people probably could have done so
with the same amount of effort if they had written it in C to begin with.

Sorry---two rants in one day to the same list.

--
Kris Maglione