Re: [wmii] Dockapp problem

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 18:05:56 +0200

On Sun, May 21, 2006 at 05:42:01PM +0200, Daniel Schmitz wrote:
> So if you don't like Dockapps, what about displaying bitmaps(or icons)
> in the status bar additionally to the simple text-labels. It would be a

I doubt the usefulness of those tiny tray icons in KDE.
They are hard to click, because they are too small. They don't
tell me much, because an icon has different meanings in
different cultures, and to render them, KDE has several 100kSLOC
dependencies. Even assumed one would only support xpm's, they
don't add much benefit.

In contrast to this, text tells you exactly what a label is
about and the label-based colorization allow you to
differentiate warnings, from informational purposes - if you're
going to monitor several stuff.

> kind of primitive dockapp-system, which -as I think- would require
> minimum code-rewriting. And when already modifying this, wouldn't it be

Dennis wrote a proof-of-concept for writing XPMs to the data
file a label, but we dropped the idea. It was approx. 200 lines
of additional code, with too less benefit.

> nice to add a litle eye-candy (like colour-gradients,
> bg-image-transparency, like other window-managers have it) to all
> window-bars and frames? I think it would make wmii look a lot less
> "geeklike".

One wmii paradigm is 'lesser is more'. An elegant desktop is
done with simplicity and clarity in mind. Those clunky window
managers with gradients might look cooler to a windows user, but
we don't concentrate on the look, we concentrate on the _use_.
If you want a sexy desktop, go for OSX or E17 ;)
If you want a usable desktop, go for wmii/larswm/ion3.

Regards,