Re: [wmii] Re: Dockapp problem

From: Ross Mohn <rpmohn_AT_waxandwane.org>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 09:28:53 -0400

On Sun, 2006-05-21 at 21:48 +0000, Jason Lunz wrote:

> garbeam_AT_wmii.de said:
> > No the difference is, that they draw their content on their own. wmii
> > has nothing todo with them. wmii shold only place them in a way which
> > seems adequate. And this can only be a vertical bar on the right side,
> > which gets opened automatically whenever such a broken app appears.
>
> I've been watching this thread with some interest. I've been using ion3
> since it was released, and I only recently discovered wmii. Yesterday I
> tried out the welcome tours of both wmii-2 and wmii-3, and I must say
> I'm really impressed.
>
> The only reason I didn't switch immediately is the (lack of) handling
> wm-style dockapps. I think your suggestion of putting dockapps in a
> vertical bar on the right is a good one.

I, too, missed my dockapps initially, but now I'm glad to NOT have them!
It forced me to think about what I was displaying and, more importantly,
why. Since them, I've hacked all I need/want into my status script and
am much happier with that single line than with my old gkrellm2. See
example at http://waxandwane.com/wmii-3-statusbar.png : approx netload,
mem/swap, cpuload, uptime, daily min/cur/max temp, lunar data, solar
rise/set, and current date/time.

Cheers -RPM