[wmii] Re: Dockapp problem

From: Jason Lunz <lunz_AT_falooley.org>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 15:39:51 +0000 (UTC)

garbeam_AT_wmii.de said:
> Hmmm, I come to the conclusion that the only way to go is to
> provide a client (which is no separate process, but like a
> client window) which takes those dockapps and orders them in a
> grid layout. Apps like gkrellm won't fit into this, but I don't
> care, those can be made floating. Such an internal client could
> also be tagged (though kill client won't have effect). Then you
> can place it where you want... Is this a good idea?

I think so. I'm especially attracted to the idea that this dock-client
would behave just like any other client. The only difference would be
that its height would be determined by the contained dockapps, and
perhaps it would be excluded from hiding in maximize and stacked
layouts. It also means it could be tagged like any other client.

I wonder whether it takes any additional code to absorb things like
gnome-panel as well as windowmaker dockapps. In ion3, a winprop is used
to do this:

defwinprop {
        class = "Gnome-panel",
        name = "Bottom Centered Panel*",
        instance = "gnome-panel",
        target = "*dock*",
}

But I don't know what has to be done behind the scenes to make this
work.

Maybe the wmii-dock also should have "gravity" to ensure it stays at the
top or bottom of the column? But what if there are two of them? Also, I
don't know whether there's already any ordering applied to the clients
in a column. What's the existing policy?

> (Which means having a vertical dockbar is not planned anymore).

That would be good too. Eliminate the special case. And I agree, things
like gkrellm can simply float.

Jason