Re: [wmii] columns

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 10:08:48 +0200

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 02:22:19AM -0400, David Bronke wrote:
> One issue I've run into while using wmii is that i'm always resizing
> columns to get them to line up with where I want them to be. I know
> Xinerama support is in the works (at least according to the TODO) and
> that will help a great deal, since I run wmii on a dual-monitor
> system. However, there are still some things I'd like to be able to
> do, and I'm not sure if they're possible currently. (i'm using wmii-3,
> but i also have the latest version from hg; it's just not installed)
> I'll write these as feature suggestions, in case they aren't
> implemented yet; if they are, just let me know how i can accomplish
> them. :-)

Yes Xinerama support is on TODO.

> First, I'd like the ability to "split" a given column so that the
> other columns of the view remain unchanged. Instead of the standard
> way of creating a new column (simply moving the client to a new
> column) it would keep the same geometry for all columns except for the
> one being split. I imagine there would have to be "split left" and
> "split right"... the former would create a new column in the left half
> of the current column's area and resize the current column to take up
> the right side. The currently-selected client would then populate the
> new column on the left. The "split right" would simply be the reverse
> of this.

In hg tip there is a newcol action, which creates a new column
prev/next to the selected one (instead at screen boundaries).
However taking up only half of the space of the existing one
doesn't sounds very dynamic to me, but I'm not sure with this...
What do others think about such a newcol strategy? We have
/def/colwidth which defines the width of newly created columns,
but I'm unsure of the need for it and didn't liked this option
since the beginning. A /def/ncol option seems much more senseful
in my eyes (like acme -c).

> Another feature I'd like is the ability to create rules for given
> clients allowing them to be automatically be put in their own column
> of a given size. This would be especially useful for eg. gaim, since
> the buddy list window doesn't need to take up the full width of one
> screen.

This requirement sounds too static to work well in a dynamic
layout. Why not making the gaim stuff floating by default and
tagging it with 'chat' or something similiar, instead?

Regards,