Re: [wmii] wmii-3 on MacOS X?

From: Denis Grelich <denisg_AT_ueberl33t.info>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 18:29:02 +0200

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 10:49:25 -0400
Geoffrey Alan Washburn <geoffw_AT_cis.upenn.edu> wrote:

> Kris Maglione wrote:
> > No, there isn't. You can, however, most likely, achieve the desired
> > behavior by applying a minor patch to cmd/wm/wm.c. Since I know
> > virtually nothing about X11 on OSX, I don't know how to find the
> > height of the top bar, so you'll have to enter it manually (or I'll
> > go digging into Ion later, but no promises).
> If ion contains specialized code for MacOS X I can probably
> figure it out.
>
> > As long as wmii checks rect.y everywhere, rather than just assuming
> > it's 0 (no promises there either), this will work.
>
> Okay, I'll look into this. Would there be any reason not to make
> rect.x,rect.y,rect.width, and rect.height available via 9P in wmii-4?
> That way I can confine whatever modifications are necessary to the
> tools that I write. Though I have to admit that offhand I can't
> think of too many other cases where one would want to write these
> values, but there are probably a number of useful reasons for being
> able to read them interactively.

I didn't look into the code, but I guess that it has to do with EWMH
hints. There are hints to bound the area managed by the wm. This is
used for example for various task bars, slits and dock-app bars in
other WM's. Afaik wmii does not support these yet, but iirc it is on
TODO.

So, no need for exporting it. This should work automagically with the
hints.

Greetings,
Denis