Re: [wmii] More newbie strangeness -- no window decorations?

From: Geoffrey Alan Washburn <geoffw_AT_cis.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 20:22:44 -0400

Suraj N. Kurapati wrote:

> Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
>
>> Still, moving my old .thunderbird out of the way, restarting X and
>> wmii-3 and then running Thunderbird gives the correct behavior again,
>> and even when I moved the old configuration back it is still working
>> correctly for the moment. So it is solved for now, but I'd really like
>> to know that when I don't have time to mess with this kind of stuff that
>> it won't suddenly manifest itself again.
>>

> You had mentioned that problems started occurring after you revived
> your laptop from a suspended state. The whole situation sounds like
> the Mozilla apps were frozen/captured in an inconsistent state
> during the suspension: maybe they were handling a (suspend?) signal
> and didn't have enough time to reach a consistent state before the
> processor became suspended.

    It's believable, but given that I completely restarted my system,
and did eventually put my standard configuration files back into place I
don't think it is the problem is that the configuration was corrupted
across sessions.

    My guess at the moment is that somewhere something is storing the
size the application windows were when I had my laptop attached to the
higher-resolution external monitor; because I'm having the same problem
again today. Furthermore, if I switched back to ion3, and then ran
Thunderbird, and then switched back to wmii-3 the problem with
Thunderbird went away. At least for the main window. I still have the
problem with the composition windows, but I didn't open one when I
started Thunderbird in ion3.

    So my guess is that wmii-3 isn't being very good about mapping
windows that are larger than the current display. However if I check
the geometry on this window, which is exhibiting the problem, it doesnt'
sound too unreasonable:

% wmiir read /client/3/name
Compose: Re: [wmii] More newbie strangeness -- no window decorations?%
% wmiir read /client/3/geom
2 17 1024 768%
%

--