Re: [wmii] More newbie strangeness -- no window decorations?

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 11:24:14 +0200

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 08:22:44PM -0400, Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
> Suraj N. Kurapati wrote:
> >
> >Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
> >
> >> Still, moving my old .thunderbird out of the way, restarting X and
> >>wmii-3 and then running Thunderbird gives the correct behavior again,
> >>and even when I moved the old configuration back it is still working
> >>correctly for the moment. So it is solved for now, but I'd really like
> >>to know that when I don't have time to mess with this kind of stuff that
> >>it won't suddenly manifest itself again.
> >>

> >You had mentioned that problems started occurring after you revived
> >your laptop from a suspended state. The whole situation sounds like
> >the Mozilla apps were frozen/captured in an inconsistent state
> >during the suspension: maybe they were handling a (suspend?) signal
> >and didn't have enough time to reach a consistent state before the
> >processor became suspended.
> >
> It's believable, but given that I completely restarted my system,
> and did eventually put my standard configuration files back into place I
> don't think it is the problem is that the configuration was corrupted
> across sessions.
>
> My guess at the moment is that somewhere something is storing the
> size the application windows were when I had my laptop attached to the
> higher-resolution external monitor; because I'm having the same problem
> again today. Furthermore, if I switched back to ion3, and then ran
> Thunderbird, and then switched back to wmii-3 the problem with
> Thunderbird went away. At least for the main window. I still have the
> problem with the composition windows, but I didn't open one when I
> started Thunderbird in ion3.
>
> So my guess is that wmii-3 isn't being very good about mapping
> windows that are larger than the current display. However if I check
> the geometry on this window, which is exhibiting the problem, it doesnt'
> sound too unreasonable:
>
> % wmiir read /client/3/name
> Compose: Re: [wmii] More newbie strangeness -- no window decorations?%
> % wmiir read /client/3/geom
> 2 17 1024 768%
> %

Ah, now we come closer to the problem. wmii treats applications
which windows request the size of the display as fullscreen
apps, which are always floating. I think we will check, if a
window which is going to be managed by wmii is larger than the
screen dimension, and resizing it if necessary (this only
happens for floating windows).

Regards,