Re: [wmii] More newbie strangeness -- no window decorations?

From: Geoffrey Alan Washburn <geoffw_AT_cis.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 10:00:38 -0400

Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 09:25:35AM -0400, Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
>
>> Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
>>
>>> You mean EWMH hints? Nah, that will break with apps not
>>> supporting EWMH. It works quite well, if an app requests screen
>>> size to handle it as fullscreen app. Many other WMs do it the
>>> same way.
>>>

>> But clearly in this the current behavior doesn't manage my windows
>> correctly. The whole idea of having wmii completely manage the layout
>> of windows is precisely so the user doesn't need to think about this
>> kind of stuff.
>>

> Under normal circumstances no client requests screen size. This
> is only the case for fullscreen clients. I haven't seen others
> who request screen size, than explicitely those fullscreen
> clients.

    By "haven't seen" you seem to be ignoring the problems with
Thunderbird and Firefox. They are not asking to be made full screen.

>> are broken because they're relying on a behavior that isn't actually
>> specified anywhere. Using EWMH, as distasteful as it may be at least
>> has a valid semantic meaning.
>>

> Nah, I don't think such apps are broken.
    Relying on behavior that is not standardized is broken. I don't see
how I can be any more clear than that.

--
[Geoff Washburn|geoffw@cis.upenn.edu|http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~geoffw/]